The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and TWAS have established a number of fellowships for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in emerging areas of science and technology for which facilities are available in the laboratories and institutes of the CSIR.
- OPENING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 1 June 2018
- CLOSING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 31 August 2018
- TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for a maximum period of four years.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at any University in India.
- Eligible CSIR institutions: Information on CSIR laboratories and institutes can be obtained by following the links from the CSIR homepage (www.csir.res.in). Alternatively, a list of eligible institutes is available here.
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided by the host institute, but no greater than 3 years.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship may be granted for up to a maximum duration of 4 years.
- CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master's degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the Application Form). NB: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person. This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Results of the fellowship selection should be available toward the end of 2018 or early 2019, and selected candidates will be able to start their fellowship NO earlier than beginning of 2019.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240-314
Fax: +39 040 2240-689
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
Mr. Jaipal Singh, Senior Technical Officer
International S&T Affairs Directorate (ISTAD)
Anusandhan Bhavan - 2 Rafi Marg
New Delhi 110 001, India
Tel: +91 11 2331 6751
Fax: +91 11 2373 9041, 2371 0618