Are you an undergraduate student in a technical or administrative field looking for a short practical training period (less than 6 months)? CERN offers a limited number of internships to undergraduate students for practical training assignments. The students mostly have technical or administrative backgrounds and their university requires or encourages them to spend a training period in industry or in a research establishment. The traineeship must form part of candidates' studies.
Job Category: Civil Engineering, Controls and Data Acquisition, Electricity, Electromechanics, Electronics, Health, Safety & Environment, Information Technologies, Materials Science & Surface Engineering, Mechanics, Physics, Support & Administration
- The appointment will be for a minimum duration of one month and a maximum duration of six months in any twelve-month period
- During the requested training period the student must remain enrolled in an educational establishment (the following document (link is external) will need to be signed and stamped by your educational establishment as a proof of enrolment).
- Students must have a medical insurance covering occupational illness and accidents that is adequate in Switzerland and France
In order to be eligible for a contract of association as a trainee, the student must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be enrolled in a full-time higher education course (Students who have already commenced doctoral studies are not eligible)
- Be specialised in one of the following field: applied physics, computing, mathematics, electrical, electronic, mechanical or civil engineering, instrumentation for accelerators and particle physics experiments, materials science, radiation protection, safety and environmental protection, surveying, ultra-high vacuum, scientific communication. A very limited number of places may be available in administrative fields: translation, advanced secretarial work, accounting, legal services, human resources, librarianship, logistics
- Have a good knowledge of English and/or French
- Return to his/her educational establishment after completion of his/her stay at CERN
- Have adequate financial resources to support him- or herself in the local area
- Please note that only a limited number of places are available.
- Applications will be considered by the potential supervisors who wish to host a student.
- Only students whose applications are under serious consideration will be contacted by departmental secretariat of the selecting supervisor.
- Students whose applications were not selected will be informed of the outcome by email approximately one month before the desired start date.